Friday, January 19, 2018

Bye-Bye Weekday Wine :-(

Tuesday morning was a wake up call for me. I finally got on the scale for the first time since the hit and run. Let's just say that I was not pleased with the number. I knew it wasn't going to be good, I just didn't expect it to be so bad. After the accident. I was afraid to weigh myself because I wasn't working out like normal. The goal of running CIM kept me somewhat focused and once I was given the OK to add running back to my routine, I sort of got back on to a schedule. However, my nutrition did not get back on track.

My shirt should have read "Will sit on the couch for wine"
Prior to the accident, I was very focused. I had given up "weekday wine" (Yes, that's a thing!), I was watching what I ate, and I was taking my vitamins and other supplements on a daily basis. After the accident, my focus was lost. Weekday wine was back on the menu. I stopped caring about what I was eating and started snacking more. I had a hard time falling asleep at night, so I would take a sleeping pill to help me doze off. On the outside, I appeared OK, but inside I was falling apart.  Then the holidays hit.

Actually, first came Ashley and Jay's two weddings. This meant more wine and a lot of delicious food. Next was Thanksgiving, followed by my 50th birthday, Christmas, New Year's and last weekend my Mom's birthday. My mom's birthday marked the end to my gluttony and hopefully the end of my not caring about what I was eating or drinking.

I forgot to mention all of the holiday food at work too!
What finally made me decide to get back on the scale was looking at my race photo's from last weekend's "Kick Start Duathlon". I could tell that my cheeks were a little fuller. Sure, to most people I look the same. However, I could tell the difference from a few months ago. I knew I needed to know where I was, so I got back on the scale. Like I said, the number was a bit of a shock. At that moment, I decided to get back to what I was doing before the accident.

Looking and feeling a bit chunkier than normal.

The Plan

I am going to make small adjustments to my diet to get back to where I was. If I try to do everything at once, I am just setting myself up for failure. This week, I eliminated "weekday wine", eating Altoids like candy, and I also started taking my vitamins in the morning. Three easy changes to make that have already paid off. Next week, I think I will remove all refined sugar from my diet. Eventually I want to give "no carbs" a good 2-3 week run, but I'm not ready yet.

In terms of working out, I had a schedule planned. Unfortunately, the cold/flu that has been going around the office at work finally caught up with me, so I had a couple of days off. I am going to write out my workout schedule this weekend and hopefully get started on Monday. One thing that will be different this year is that I will be focusing on sprint distance races. These shorter races will allow me to find events on closed courses so I will not have to ride my bike on the road. At first I was a little bummed about giving up the longer races, but now I am starting to look forward to trying something different.

Oh, and in case you are curious, the weekend officially starts on Friday afternoon, Cheers!

#endureandenjoy365 #hitandrun #wine #tbfracing

No comments:

Post a Comment