Wednesday, November 13, 2013

OK, I Admit It...I Take Supplements!!!

Let's be honest, I'm 45 and HS is just a bit older :-) We can't put our bodies through the all the training we do without a little help. Below is a list of the 4 supplements I use on a daily basis (besides Advil LOL!)

FRS

HS and I each have a glass of FRS every morning with our breakfast (We've been drinking this for quite a few years now). We drink the low calorie version which is 15 calories a serving. I will often have a glass before heading out on a long run too. When Max and Lindsey come to visit, we are usually left with an empty bottle.

According to the FRS Website...
"All FRS® products feature quercetin, a powerful all-natural antioxidant found in foods such as blueberries, red apples and grapes. It has been shown in multiple clinical trials to provide sustained energy, increased endurance, immune system support along with many other health benefits.FRS uses only QU995™, the purest quercetin available, and combines it with a patented mix of green tea extract and vitamins to deliver optimum performance.
A serving of FRS contains a healthy amount of quercetin, but to get the equivalent you'd have to be willing - and able - to eat 40 apples in a sitting! 
Instead of using lots of caffeine and sugar to give your body a lift, FRS activates your body's own energy-producing mechanisms for sustained energy without fear of crashing. 
Quercetin acts in the body as a “super fuel” that mimics the effects of exercise by enhancing the production of the body's mitochondria, the energy-producing units in cells. Traditionally, exercise training has been the only practical way to increase the amount of mitochondria in cells."
A study was published in the International Journal of Sports Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism. It found that quercetin increases VO2max and endurance capacity.
An independent, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over study showed that when 12 healthy, active (but not highly trained) men and women consumed 500 mg of quercetin (QU995™) in an enriched drink mix twice daily for 7 days, they experienced a 13.2 percent increase in ride time to fatigue (based on bicycle endurance capacity) and a 3.9 percent increase in VO2max (maximum oxygen consumption). Read full clinical study.

Disclaimer

Ok, before I discuss Results & Recovery and Shakeology, I just want to make it clear that I am a Beachbody "coach" and I earn money by selling these products. That being said, I have been using these two products for years and swear by them. Even though it has been almost 2 years since we stopped hosting the Warehouse Workout and are not as active in Beachbody as we used to be, I keep my Beachbody account active so I can continue getting my 25% discount! I am writing about these products because they are something I take on a daily basis, no different than FRS.

P90X Results & Recovery

HS and I started using Results & Recovery back in 2009. What I love the most about this product is that it doesn't taste like a protein/recovery drink. In fact, blend it with some ice and you will have something reminiscent of and Orange Julius. Does it work? All I can tell you is that when I take it after a strenuous work out, I am able to do it again the following day.

Since I don't want to reinvent the wheel, I'll just copy and paste some of the info from the Beachbody website...
"Proper post-workout nutrition is a crucial element in how quickly and completely your body recovers, benefits from, and adapts to exercise. Studies show that if you recharge your body the right way during the first hour after exercise, you can increase your ability to recover by more than 100 percent. P90X Results and Recovery Formula combines the exact nutrients you need, in a ratio of four parts carbs to one part protein, to ensure speedy muscle repair after challenging workouts.
Extensive scientific research has shown that there is a 60-minute window of opportunity right after exercise when muscle cells are primed to repair, rebuild, and adapt from a workout. P90X Results and Recovery Formula is designed to take advantage of this interval, fueling your muscles with the exact nutrients they need to reap the greatest benefit." 
Shakeology

Shakeology is one of my morning "snacks". Right now I'm hooked on the vanilla flavor and will blend it with ice and a banana for a treat that seems quite sinful. I don't talk about this one too much because it is on the expensive side, but in my eyes it is worth it. I can't explain all of the 70 different ingredients or what they do, so if you are interested in learning more, just go to my website. There are some great videos that explain the product and the benefits.

How it compares to other "shakes"

16g of protein and lots and lots of vitamins

Recently Beachbody added the option of allowing people to make a one-time sampler pack purchase. It's about time! Now, at least people who are interested can try a few flavors and see what they like.  I used to hate trying to explain to people what "Greenberry" tasted like!  LOL

Sample Pack 


Vitamins

Given everything I've just listed above, there is really no reason for me to take any additional vitamins. However, nowadays, almost every major supplement is available in "gummy" form. So I cheat on my "no candy" rule by chewing a few adult gummy vitamins :-)

Just a kid at heart

2 comments: