Monday, September 3, 2018

Bear Valley Triathlon - Race Report

Before I get started, I want to thank several people.,,

First and foremost, I want to thank Hot Stuff. For the last several years of racing, he has put up with crazy training schedules and schlepping my gear all over the place! He stood by me last year as I lay in the hospital and he swore he would take me wherever I wanted to go if it was someplace I would feel safe riding. This weekend it was Bear Valley.

I also want to thank Robert Fuller for allowing me to join the FREAKSHOW RED RACING team. I am honored. Over the last several years I have humorously used the hashtag #willraceforwine, now it's official. Robert has also designed one of the coolest, most fun kits I have seen. I also want to thank all of my new CX teammates that so graciously welcomed me to the team!

Next, of course, I want to thank our team sponsor, Michael David Winery. I've enjoyed these wines for many years and HS and I have been wine club members for longer than I can remember. It is awesome being able to represent MDW and some of my favorite wines! I was also a treat getting to race with David and his wife, Corene.

The battery in HS's phone died at the end of the day, but no worries. Robert's wife, Susana, is an awesome photographer. What HS may have missed, she captured. It was great having her there snapping shots of the race. Thank you, Susana.

Lastly, I want to thank Mark and Candy of On Your Mark Events. This was my first time racing at Bear Valley. It was a top notch event! I hope to come back again and again. Thanks for making race day so much fun!

____________________________________________________

The Race

The Bear Valley Triathlon had been on my "To Do" list for a while. Last year, after we bought a cabin in Arnold (about 25 miles from Bear Valley), I figured I was finally going to have a chance to do this race. However, when my sister announced that she was getting married on Labor Day 2017, the same day as the race, I knew I was going to have to put the race off another year.

I'm blocking the calendar for next year too!

This year, knowing that my sister would be off celebrating her first full year of marital bliss, I blocked off Labor Day weekend on our Airbnb calendar (Shameless plug...rent our cabin!) and made plans to finally do this race. When I say made plans, it really didn't include triathlon training. I was running and riding on my trainer, but  I wasn't doing any kind of swim training. I figured I would be OK.

I was really looking forward to this race. Not just because I've wanted to do it, but because I was going to get to race with some of my new cyclocross teammates on the FREAKSHOW RED RACING team. I even bought the tri kit knowing that I probably won't wear it again for a while. That didn't matter, I wanted to fit in and look like the team. After years of doing long distance triathlons, I was tired of doing races by myself. Having a group to encourage you and cheer for you was going to be so much fun.

Freakshow super fan... #willraceforwine

Pre-Race

HS and I actually slept in a bit. This race has a 10:00am (thank you, thank you, thank you) start time and the cabin is only about 30 minutes from the venue.  There was no need to get up early or get in any kind of a hurry. I made breakfast burritos and coffee and had a nice leisurely morning. I did opt not to take the dogs on their regular two mile morning walk because I wanted to give my legs a break.

My puppers got some Freakshow miles in on the Arnold Rim Trail the day before the race :-)

As we neared Bear Valley, HS asked if I knew where to go. I looked up the event info and all it said was Bear Valley Rd. (There are low key events and then there are low key events that only give you a street name! LOL) We turned off of Highway 4 onto Bear Valley Rd. and hoped that we could figure out where to go. As we neared the Bear Valley store, we saw cones on the side of the road and then some chalk markings. "Follow the chalk!"

HS drove along, following the chalk marks in the road, until we started seeing vehicles with bike racks. We quickly found a spot to park on the side of the road and made our way towards transition. As we neared the bike racks, I spotted a Freakshow kit. I had found my team :-)

What a great looking group! (HS pic)
After everyone was checked in and had their transition areas ready, we posed for a few group shots and made our way down to the water to warm up. I figured Coach James would at least be happy that I was warming up even though I had stopped coming to practice last year LOL. I entered the water and felt a chill as the water made its way through my wetsuit zipper. It was COLD!


Walking down to the lake (HS pic)

Good turnout for the race (HS pic)
Last week at "Mark & Tony's Margarita Trail Run and Party" (Yes, that is the name of the event). Mark, from On Your Mark Events, told us that wetsuits aren't necessary at Bear Valley and that the water is fine...about 70 degrees. However, this is also the same guy that referred to the hills at the Angels Camp Triathlon as "rolling"! I'm not sure if he just has a mischievous side or if he doesn't want to scare people, but when I saw one of his Instagram posts for Bear Valley with a polar bear dancing in the water, I figured I was going to wear a wetsuit.

Polar bears do not make me think of warm water

Swim

The swim start was one mass start. Surprisingly, I wasn't too nervous about this. I did seed myself towards the back of the pack, so that probably helped. I knew I wasn't going to be that quick and I had no intention of getting in anyone's way.

I started swimming...taking nice, slow, easy strokes. Within a few minutes I was feeling winded. Maybe it was the altitude or maybe it was my lack of training. I did a few strokes of breaststroke and was amazed at how far the first turn buoy still seemed. I put my head down and started swimming again. There were bubbles in front of me so I followed them. A man to my right started to swim in front of me, crossing from right to left. I pulled up and let him get out of my way. A few seconds later, that same guy was swimming in front of me again, this time going from left to right. I pulled up again and tried to head in the opposite direction of where he was going. When he crossed in front of me the third time, I really got irritated.

I started swimming breaststroke again to try and figure out how to get away from this guy. It was at that point I noticed that he didn't have any goggles and that his eyes seemed closed. I also noticed quite a few people swimming backstroke. Hmmm. Maybe I'll do that instead. I rolled over onto my back and started swimming. I could see why people were doing this. I was able to move forward and continue to get air. At this altitude, this was a big plus. Every once in a while I would roll over and give freestyle a try, but would quickly give it up for backstroke. Believe it or not, I was able to pass people while I was on my back and I actually stayed fairly straight.

Getting out of the water, still the best part of the swim (Susana Fuller photograher)
Final note, my Garmin had this 600y swim at 800y!


Transition 1

There is a short run from the beach to transition. The run includes a brief climb up the side of a hill, but there are some steps along the way and it is mostly sandy. HS had my flip flops, but I decided to run bare foot. It wasn't too bad. When I got to transition, I gave each of my feet a quick squirt with my water bottle and slipped on my Pearl iZUMi Tri Fly P.R.O. v3 triathlon shoes (They look great with my Freakshow kit).

Moments behind me was Robert Fuller, aka Rocket. I tried my best to get a jump on him coming out of transition because I knew what was coming. SMACK DOWN!!


Ride

The Bear Valley Triathlon bike course consists of three laps. Since this was my first official race/ride on the road since the hit and run, I was very, very conservative...aka: "slow". Initially I planned on buying a second set of wheels for my cross bike so I would have a semi-road set up. Unfortunately, the wheels I want from Williams Cycling will not be in stock until December. I decided to bring my Specialized Shiv and make the best of it. Since I have never been on this course, I really didn't know what to expect other than some hills.

Well, hills and Rocket blowing past me. It didn't take long before Rocket flew past me like I was standing still. Good for him. I'm playing it safe and slow. LOL

During the pre-race instructions, Mark mentioned a hair pin turn that would land you in a resident's back yard and potentially destroy your bike if you didn't take it easy. He said they had marked "SLOW" in chalk as you neared the turn. I spent the first part of my first lap nervously looking for the warning. When I finally saw it, I slowed down even more and made my way safely around the corner.

The course flattened out towards the middle of the first lap as I crossed Bear Valley Rd. Since the first half had pretty much been all down hill, I knew what was coming. There was no way to get back to where I started without some climbing. As I neared the end of the climb, a group of Freakshow supporters were off to my left. Since I am new to the team and they had no idea who I was, they just shouted "Go RED!" Good enough for me. I loved the support. One lap down, two to go!

Slow and steady (Susan Fuller photographer)
The second lap seemed easier than the first. The climbing portion was still tough, but didn't seem as bad. I caught a woman just as I started my third lap. She had a 51 on her calf. My first thought was "OMG! Is this her second or third lap?" I passed her briefly. However, a little bit later, she flew past me as I attempted to wear out my brake pads. As I made my way across the flat section, I saw her again as the climb started. I worked hard to catch her and pass her. I finished my 3rd lap and concentrated on getting out on the run and not on my competitors.

Transition 2

In my opinion, this was one of my worsts transitions in a long time. It was not my longest, but it shouldn't have been. This should have been very basic and fast! Unfortunately, as soon as I racked my bike the trouble started. First issue...I couldn't get my helmet unsnapped. My teammate, The Blade, had to come help me. Talk about feeling a little silly. On the plus side, I am thankful I didn't run off with my helmet still on my head.

The second issue was my running shoes. I had bungie laces and it was a pair of shoes I have used in a number of races. This time, I managed to jam the tongue of my right shoe into the shoe. No amount of tugging and pulling would free the tongue. I slipped on my left shoe without issue and finally removed my right shoe and put it back on again. How hard is it to put on shoes? Jeez!! LOL

Run

Thankfully, once I got out of transition, the first part of the run was basically down hill. I tried to suck it up and just run knowing that each passing minute got me closer to the finish line. My legs started feeling the effects of CIM training and the half marathon trail run I did the previous weekend. I told myself to focus what I was doing.

The run course was altered from the ride circuit and just a bit longer. On the flat section through a giant parking lot, I stopped for a cup of water. I started running again and chatted with a pleasant gentleman wearing a vintage Pearl iZUMi kit. As the incline increased, I backed off and started walking...and that's when I saw him....ROCKET!

I knew Rocket would kill me on the bike, but I held out hope that I could run him down. I glanced up the mountain as I walked, and saw a Freakshow kit. That had to be him. I started to run. It was starting to get warm and my legs were tired, but I wanted to make up for the bike. I slowed to a walk again. Thankfully, he was walking. Rocket started jogging again. Ugh! Just walk, Rocket, damn it!

Run, Rocket, Run! Thank you for dragging me up the hill!
I made a deal with myself, run as long as you can, but if he starts walking, you better start running. I stuck to the plan until I eased up behind him. Actually, when I got up along side of Rocket, I really wanted him to start running with me. Instead, he told me there was a female behind me and that I better start going. I shuffled off the best that I could.

Eventually, I could hear the female behind me and I knew she was going to overtake me on this long climb. When she finally passed me, I had no idea how old she was because she was wearing running tights that covered her calves. Based on my best guess though, she was under 30. I was OK for now and could continue walking (I'm not walking next year!)

At what I thought was the top of the hill, I saw the Freakshow fans. They were still cheering me on and I kept going the best that I could. The final 1/4 mile seems to dipped down to the finish line. I ran, not out of trying to beat a time, but out of fear of having a finish line photo showing me walking.

Finished! (Awesome photo, HS!) I look trim and I am running! LOL

Post Race

Unlike most races, there was a break between racing, eating, and awards. Racers were given a chance to pick up their gear and move down the hill to the community center where beer, pizza, and other types of cold drinks awaited.

I don't eat a lot of pizza and I definitely don't drink beer, so I grabbed a Diet Coke and waited for my teammates. When the pizza showed up, I ended up grabbing a few slices because it looked really good (and it was).

At 1:00pm, the awards started as promised. Mark started with the relay teams, then went to the women's age groups, and then the men's age groups. Last but not least were the overall awards. I was thrilled to win the women's overall masters award. I also got a bottle of Michael David Petite Petit (One of HS's favorite wines).

Winner, winner, chicken dinner (Susana Fuller photographer)

HS earned this bottle today (Susana Fuller photographer)


#willraceforwine and raffle prizes :-)

Besides my masters award (and wine), I also won a raffle prize that included two trail passes and XC ski rentals at Bear Valley. (Thank you, Bear Valley Cross Country Adventure Company).Who wants to come up to Stone's Throw and try something new with us this winter?


Final Thoughts

1) I'm coming back next year
2) You should do this race too
3) Road bike, no tri bike
4) Go to swim practice
5) Have fun!

#michaeldavidwinery #freakshowredracing #pearlizumi #williamscycling #onyourmarkevents #fleetfeetstomo #willraceforwine #trialthon #bearvalleycrosscountry #xcountryskiing #triathlon #bearvalley #stonesthrowarnold #cranked




No comments:

Post a Comment