Saturday, September 22, 2018

My Forrest Gump Moment

I had a Forrest Gump moment the other day. After six years of triathlon training, which included two full 140.6 mile IRONMAN races, four 70.3 triathlons, and five marathons, I was overcome with the feeling of being done. I had an eight mile run on my schedule in preparation for my 6th California International Marathon and I did not want to do it. What exactly am I trying to prove?

Typically, look forward to getting home from work and doing a workout. As I was driving home that day, all I could think was "I don't think I can do this" and I wasn't thinking of just the workout. I was thinking about long distance races period.


I'm pretty tired

Forrest: [running] I had run for 3 years, 2 months, 14 days, and 16 hours. [he stops and turns around] 
Young Man Running: Quiet, quiet! He's gonna say something! 
Forrest: I'm pretty tired...I think I'll go home now.
That pretty much sums up how I have been feeling...I'm pretty tired. Actually, I am more mentally tired than physically tired. Since the hit and run last September, I've spent the majority of my time on the treadmill or bike trainer...nice and safe inside my house.  Staring at a screen is really starting to get to me. I just don't think I have it in me to keep training like this, especially without a "big"race on my calendar.


These views are killing me!

I searched for a reason not to do the workout, but eventually, I mustered up enough energy to get on the treadmill.  I felt good after I finished my run, but by the time I finished, I had decided that if I manage to make it into the 2019 Boston Marathon in April, that I would not be doing CIM this December. I registered for Boston as soon as it opened up for us mere mortals that managed to eke out a qualifying time. Now all I can do is wait to find out if I make the cut.

Hope I've got one more marathon in me

What I Really Want To Do

It's not that I don't want to compete anymore, but I want challenges that fit with where I am in my life. I want to get back to doing short, fun, local races that don't require a crazy amount of time training. I want to do the Fleet Feet Tuesday night runs and do the 3 mile option without feeling like I should be doing the 5. I want to be around people again and not holed up in my workout room.

I also want to try different things. I am super excited about the upcoming cyclocross season. I have never done this type of bike racing. I'm lucky enough to be part of a great team that promises to be nothing but fun. Plus, as a beginner 40+ female, my races are only 30 minutes!


Some of my new FREAKSHOW RED RACING teammates at the Bear Valley Triathlon

I'm also signed up to do a Spartan race. Honestly, I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I signed up. However, it has given me something to work towards again. I'm learning to climb a  rope and working on my strength. Most importantly, I'm having fun and I feel like I have time in my life for other things.

HS says I have "tri"arms which is why I can't climb the rope
If I don't get into Boston, I'm not sure what 2019 holds. I'm sure I'll find something to do. For now, I just want to be an "enjoyance" athlete.



No comments:

Post a Comment