Monday, December 2, 2019

2020 IRONMAN Santa Rosa 70.3 - Training Plan and Goals

Today is Day 1 on my journey to do IRONMAN Santa Rosa 70.3 on May 9, 2020. I did the very first IMSR 70.3 and was not very happy with my results. I was lazy about training and well over my race weight at previous long distance races. I am going to do my best to stick to my training plan and strive to meet my big and mini goals.

TRAINING PLAN:

After trying to come up with my own plan based on my "homemade" schedule for Barb's Race and my full IRONMAN coached training, I decided to find a training program on line. After some research online, I have decided to do Phil Mosley's "Intermediate IRONMAN 70.3 for Masters" (21 weeks). This plan is supposed to be geared for athletes over the age of 40. Highlights of this plan include:
  • Each week has 2 swims, 3 rides, 3 runs, 2 strength sessions and 2 days off
  • Every 3rd week is active recovery
After looking at my homemade plan, I could tell that I wasn't building in enough recovery time. The Masters plan has days off each week and an active recovery week once a month (similar to good ol' P90X).

Since I have chosen the 21 week plan, I have two weeks of prep training just to get back into some sort of pattern and off of the couch.

BIG GOALS:

  • Get to my race weight of 135
  • Get at PR at the race

These two goals sort of go hand-in-hand. If I get to my ideal race weight, it will be much easier for me to set a PR. I am guessing that my weight is about 155 but since I'm at the cabin, I can't weigh in as I had planned. I will weigh myself tomorrow morning to see where I am starting. I will probably need to lose a pound a week up until the race. Hopefully I won't suffer a major weight set back over Christmas and New Years.


MINI GOALS

My mini goals are more about keeping my life, work, training balance in check. These mini goals will also help me reach my big goals.

  • Give up sugar (except for b-day, Christmas and 1 cheat day a month)
  • Read my bible daily
  • Prep the coffee pot the night before so I have a little more time in the morning
  • If I will be doing a morning workout, have all of my clothes ready so I'm not wasting time looking for stuff in the dark
  • Stay on top of house work
  • Brush the dogs while watching TV instead of playing games


No comments:

Post a Comment