Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Time to Get my Act Together


Last week I thought my weight had reached a “high” point that would quickly drop back into a range I was comfortable admitting to people. A weight that would still put me 20 lbs. away from my desired race weight for IMSR 70.3. I chalked up last week’s weight to Thanksgiving and all of the foods I wouldn’t normally eat during the long weekend…including the five pies that Ashley and Jay brought to feed eight people.

Got pie


I expected this Monday’s weight to be lower than last week, although I was prepared for it to be more than Friday’s weight. However, I was not prepared for a gain of four pounds!! I am near tears just thinking about it but I am also glad this happened now. I think I needed a shock like this to snap me out of my complacency and also to make me start being more honest with myself and some of my
bad habits.

160.4


Injuries and a Bad Attitude

The last year has been difficult. Last November, I injured my right knee during a Spartan race (doing too many burpees)...at least thats when my problems started. Soon, my left knee started hurting too. I scrapped a couple of CX races and then backed out of running CIM. I spent the next month or so babying my knees before I decided to go to the doctor. My knees were swollen to the point where I could barely bend them and they ached constantly. The doctor prescribed an anti-inflammatory and a month later not much had improved. An x-ray revealed minor arthritis and the doctor thought that physical therapy may help. 


I decided to pass on the therapy because the doctor made it sound like if they showed me the right way to move that I wouldn’t be having these problems. A few months went by and my elbow began aching like my knees. It felt like the bone was bruised but there didn’t seem to be any swelling. Again, I went back to the doctor, got an x-ray, and was told there was nothing wrong. Why does it hurt so bad then? I told the doctor that my knees would still swell and ache and that I would be willing to go to the sports therapist. My doctor said they would contact me…it’s been over 4 months and I still haven’t heard anything. I guess I could contact Kaiser and see what’s up, but since they keep telling me nothing is wrong, I don’t want them thinking I’m looking for pain killers or that I am just crazy.

So, for the last few months I have worked out here and there, nothing consistent. My weight has slowly climbed. I feel lethargic and fat and I am supposed to started a 70.3 training program next Monday. I guess I should be glad that I had this wake up moment now instead of in May, right before the race. I know what needs to change, I’m just scared that I won’t be able to turn things around…that I’ve become too comfortable as a couch potato. My workout routine needs help, my diet really needs help, my sleep needs desperate help. I need to make some changes.

Goals! Goals! Goals!

Typically my race goals include things like getting a PR, getting on the podium, etc. This time, my goals are more personal. They are daily habits that I hope to establish so I can reach race related goals.

Here are my goals:

Daily Goals (Habits)
  • Prep the coffee machine every night so I have extra time in the morning to get in an early workout (my Masters training plan has double workout days that affords me two days off a week)
  • Get workout clothes ready the night before (if I have a morning workout on my schedule)
  • TV off by 7:30pm on work nights. Go read or do something that does not involve starting at a screen. Aim for 7 hours of sleep per night.
  • Continue daily walks at work
  • Fast on Tuesdays (rest days for training)
  • One cheat meal a month!!! NOT EVERY WEEKEND!
  • Remove sugar and white flour from my diet
Who am I kidding? I still have race goals ;-)

  • Get to race weight of 135 by May 1 (Lose 1.1 pounds per week)
  • PR at IMSR 70.3 
  • Complete CIM 2020

For now, I want to remember how low I am feeling. It sucks feeling sidelined. It really sucks watching my weight go up and acknowledging that every extra pound is putting me further away from my goals. Every time I want to slip back into bad habits or blow off a work out, I need to read this and remember that I don't want to feel this way anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment