Friday, August 9, 2013

5150 Brick

Not only is 5150 the title of the BEST Van Halen album, it is also the police code for crazy person or someone that might be a danger to others or themselves. Interestingly, 5150 is also my time on my 10k run this morning following 45 sweat inducing minutes on the bike trainer.

Does this mean I'm a danger to myself? LOL

Ride

One of my main goals this coming year is to turn into a hill lovin', hill climbin' machine. Two tools I plan to use are my bike trainer and Spivervals "Uphill Grind".  In an attempt to make this workout a little more "tri" like, I attached my bike shoes to my pedals and used a rubber band to keep them from moving.

I then tried to mount my bike and slip on my shoes like the pros.  Not bad, but then again, I didn't have to worry about falling over. At the end of the workout, I slipped my feet out of my shoes and tried the dismount. It's going to take a little more practice but it should save me some time in a race!

With time in mind, I set up a mini transition area next to bike. That way, when I was done with the ride, I wouldn't waste time looking for my hat and my glasses and my shoes and the spare key, etc. ;-)

Transition area ready!


Brick Workout - Bike by tpengilly at Garmin Connect - Details


I don't have the Garmin bike attachment to record my cadence, so all I have is my heart rate. I may not have been riding real hills this morning, but my heart rate looks like hills.


Run

I'm not sure what got into me today, but when I got off the bike and started running, it felt great! Maybe it was the fact that I've lost a few pounds this week, or maybe it was because it was still early and cool (I've been training in the heat of the afternoon). Whatever the reason, I felt strong through the first four miles.

When I finished mile four, I made a decision to ease up a bit. I wasn't feeling particularly tired, but I wanted to save something for the rest of the weekend. Mile five was about a 9 minute mile pace. Towards the end of the fifth mile I looked at my watch and realized that I was on pace for a PR. No way!

The next mile plus was back up to my original pace and I got my PR. The previous 10K PR on my Garmin was also set during a brick workout (52:17).  Hmmmm...what is up with that?

Brick Workout - Run by tpengilly at Garmin Connect - Details

After

Ok, maybe I am a little bit crazy. After I got home from my run, I popped in P90X Shoulders & Arms and went through about 20 minutes of the DVD (skipping the warmup).

In-and-Out Bicep Curls
HS came home a couple of minutes after I turned off the DVD. I had to go pick up the wedding photos and he offered to go with me. Once that task was done, he asked if I wanted to go look at bikes. What a sweet guy! I suggested we take the boat out instead. We haven't had much time this summer to use it and the weather was beautiful.


Why are you taking my picture?
It was a great day to be out on the water...besides, we always have tomorrow to look at bikes ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment