Thursday, October 3, 2013

Congratulations from USA Triathlon

Yesterday I got a very interesting email from USA Triathlon. It read...
Congratulations Tracy Pengilly. You have qualified for the Olympic-Distance race at the 2014 USA Triathlon Age Group National Championships on August 9 in Milwaukee, Wis., after finishing in the top 10 percent in your age group at the Vineman Triathlon, Barb's Race and AquaBike Events

Can I just get the shirt?

Who would have thought that after only a year in the sport I would qualify to go to a race like this? I certainly didn't. I don't think James did either because he seemed quite surprised when I told him last night.

I qualified for this race because of my finish in Barb's Race. Ironically, I won't be going to this race because of Barb's Race. Barb's Race 2014 is July 26. The National Age Group Championships are Aug 9. This leaves two weeks between races, which would not be enough time for me to recover from Barb's Race :-(



I'm sure some of you are thinking "Just don't do Barb's Race" but I have some very good reasons for doing Barb's again:

  • Traveling to a race is stressful enough without having to get on an airplane (I hate flying!!!) I would be a nervous wreck before, during and after the flight! Now, maybe if I was going to Kona.... ;-)
  • I was a mess the weeks before Barb's race. I cannot imagine what it would be like before going the National Age Group Championships...I'm just not ready for that kind of pressure.
  • I've got teammates racing at Barb's in 2014. I was very lonely on the run this year and was jealous of my competitors whenever they high-fived a teammate.  Next year I'll be high-fiving Emily and Nancy!
  • I've got a couple of demons to slay at Barb's such as breaking the 6 hour barrier and not walking on the run. 

Maybe someday I'll be ready to go to Milwaukee...


No comments:

Post a Comment