Saturday, September 5, 2015

Accountability - Go Ahead and Ask Me!

Monday I started incorporating P90X3 into my triathlon training. Monday was a little difficult to get out of bed and hit "play" at 4am, but I knew that if I didn't do it on the first day, I wouldn't do it on the second day. So I got my butt out of bed, did my 30 minute workout (X3 Yoga), and only ended up sacrificing a little Bingo Bash time. I felt pretty good about myself ;-)  When I got to work, a co-worker...let's just call her Ms. J... asked me if I did my workout (she's about a month and a half into P90X3). I proudly told her "Yes!" (Like "How dare you even question my commitment!" LOL)

When Tuesday rolled around, I once again found it difficult to get out of bed. The weird thing is that if I was getting up to make coffee or turn on the TV or play with the dogs, I wouldn't have had a problem...getting up to do a 30 minute workout...UGH...It's too early...I won't have time to get ready...blah blah blah. Then a little voice in my head reminded me that Ms. J was probably going to ask if I did my workout. UGH!!! Why did I announce that I was going to do this???

Sure enough, Ms. J walks into the office and asks "Did you do your workout today?" "Yup," I answered, a little less enthusiastic than I did on Monday. Wednesday and Thursday followed the pattern...alarm, fear of Ms. J asking, workout.

Accountability

People mistakenly think that because I was able to do a full ironman distance race and stick to the required training, that I have some sort of psycho level commitment to working out. That could not be further from the truth. Quite often I struggle with getting myself out the door. When it's cold outside, the last thing I want to do it go to the pool. When it's crazy hot, what sane person wants to go for a long run? Honestly, if I didn't have to answer to Coach K there would have been a lot of skipped workouts!

Yesterday was a "closed" Friday at work, so I knew I wouldn't be seeing Ms. J. I also had a 60 mile ride scheduled with some other co-workers (we really are a fit bunch at Public Works). The ride was great, and I actually planned on coming home and doing X3 Yoga. However, one of our group locked his keys in his truck so we waited with him (no rider left behind) until help arrived and got him in his truck.


This delay backed up my afternoon and with a family dinner at 5:30, there wasn't enough time, so I skipped the X3 workout. Sometimes life gets in the way, and that's OK.

My Next Challenge


One of the ways I stay motivated is to help other people stay motivated. If I'm checking on you, I fully expect you to check on me...just like Ms. J does. I am starting a "Challenge Group" in a couple of weeks and am looking for some people to join me. If you, or someone you know, would be interested in joining me please send me a private message. 

No comments:

Post a Comment