Thursday, February 23, 2023

Becoming Bulletproof...Again!

It's been roughly 10 years since one of my triathlon club teammates, Anthony, first told be about Bulletproof coffee. We had stopped during a swim set and he extolled the virtues of this drink and then gave me the recipe.

"What? You put butter in your coffee? And oil?" I asked, somewhat stunned and a little grossed out.

The pre-blended oil slick is what I imagined :-)

In my mind, I pictured a steaming cup of black coffee with an oil slick on top. Seeing the look on my face, Anthony explained that it was actually quite good, just like putting creamer in your coffee. He talked about how good it made him feel and how much energy he had.

Since I was training for Barb's Race (a 70.3 mile women's only triathlon), I decided to give it a shot. I could definitely use the extra energy and since I drank coffee everyday, it wouldn't be too much of a change to add a couple extra ingredients. The issue became finding those ingredients... grass-fed, unsalted butter and coconut oil. 

I made a trip to Trader Joes the next day and found what I was looking for...sort of. The butter was spot on, but the coconut oil, was in a solid form in a jar. This was a far cry from the MCT oil I now use.

The next morning I whipped up a batch of Bulletproof coffee for me and HS. Wow! Anthony was right, it was like drinking coffee with creamer. After that, Bulletproof coffee became a morning go to. In fact, at the start of 2014, I decided to start a diet (my winter weight had climbed to a number I would kill to see now LOL). Bulletproof coffee was definitely on the menu!


Side Note - Popular Reads

If you go to my Nutrition page, you will see several post about Bulletproof recipes I have tried and enjoyed throughout the years. In fact, out of all of my blog posts about training and race reports, my post titled "Bulletproof Diet - Roasted Pork Belly with Vegetables" is #1. Go figure!

In the last 12 months, my post for "Bulletproof Stew" is #2 behind
P90X3


Giving Up

After COVID, menopause, retirement, and a long list of other stresses in my life, I found myself discouraged and gaining weight. I managed to drag myself across the finish line of IRONMAN California out of sheer determination to finish what I had started. I then shuffled through CIM and decided to take the rest of the year off from training. I didn't have anything to train for anyway. 

December gave way to January which soon became February. I was consistent at going out for a daily walk with HS and the pups, but that was about the extent of my activity. The scale kept creeping up. And on top of that, I lost all desire to work on my book.  I had always figured that once I retired and had a bit of free time, I would write on a daily basis. Unfortunately, that wasn't the case as brain fog settled in and zapped my creativity. 

I woke up every morning with the best of intentions to watch what I was eating, to exercise, and to write but it just didn't happen. And when it didn't happen, I became even more discouraged. I decided it was time to do something drastic and so I started researching prescriptions for weight loss...specifically, I was looking for the miracle Hollywood drug I had been hearing about. I finally found it, but then saw the shocking price and moved on. I then found another website and the prescription seemed affordable with not too many side effects. I waited a few days before even mentioning it to HS because I knew he wouldn't be very happy with my decision.

And Just Like That...

The day I was ready to set up an online doctor's appointment to get the prescription, I checked my email and noticed an invitation from Bulletproof to become a product ambassador. I was skeptical. I'd been through the whole Beachbody "coaching" deal where you had to pay monthly for the opportunity to try and sell their products. The membership cost wasn't really enough to cover the discount on the one product I wanted. If this is what Bulletproof was selling, I wasn't interested.

I read the email and then read it again. It appeared that they were interested in people that had shown an interest in their products over the years. There was no catch, no cost, all I really had to do is share about Bulletproof, something I had been doing for years on my own. I wondered to myself if I was really a good choice, so reviewed my order history. The proof was there...over the years, I had put my money where my mouth was (even during times I wasn't posting about it) ... I have been and still am a Bulletproof fan. 

Welcome Aboard

I gave up the notion of taking a shortcut that could have potential side effects and decided to go back to the natural healthy route...even if I didn't get accepted to the ambassador program. I filled out the application and listed my favorite purchases (I didn't even include the things I have bought off of Amazon) and waited. To my delight, I received an email a few days ago accepting me into their ambassador program! 

To celebrate, I whipped up a cup of Bulletproof coffee! It's the perfect morning pick-me-up to go along with my new training plan for the American River Parkway Half Marathon in a few months!

In one of my previous posts about the Bulletproof diet I noted the following:

Bulletproof Positives

Regardless of the weight issues, I did notice some non-weight related positives:

    • I slept through the night...a good deep sleep
    • I woke up clear headed with no brain fog
    • I felt energized throughout the day and was able to focus and be extremely productive
After only a few days and a few cups of Bulletproof coffee, I am starting to see the changes listed above. The fact that I am writing this blog post is proof that the fog is starting to clear ;-)

To My Family and Friends

Since you are the only ones that probably read my entire blog posts... If you decide to try out some Brain Octane or another other Bulletproof product use the code TPengilly for a 20% discount! 


No comments:

Post a Comment