Thursday, January 1, 2015

Bulletproof Diet - Roasted Pork Belly with Vegetables

Another super simple, extremely decadent, and very tasty recipe!

Prior to cooking this recipe, my experience with the term pork bellies extended to the movie "Trading Places". At the time, I had no idea why anyone would buy pork bellies or that they were used to make bacon. Even when I saw this recipe in the book, I didn't know what 2 pounds of pork belly was going to look like.

When I went to Podesto's to buy the meat, I wandered back and forth at the meat counter helplessly looking for a sign that said pork belly. I looked at the pork section...nothing. I looked by the sausages and bacon...nothing. After a few minutes of this, the butcher asked if he could help me find something. I said I was looking for pork belly. He replied "I'm slicing some right now, how much would you like?"

The recipe calls for 1-2 pounds of pork belly. I was only going to buy a pound because I couldn't fathom eating more than a pound, but HS convinced me to get two so we would have left overs. Ok, two pounds it is.

Like I said, the recipe is super simple...

Step 1: Read the instructions all the way through (don't want to make another mistake like I did with the ice cream).



Here is what a two pound pork belly roast looks like. In the picture above, you can see that I have scored the skin and placed the roast on top of some veggies.


The roast has a good layer of fat under the skin, but still has a fair amount of meat. Why doesn't my bacon ever have this much meat?


The ghee rubbed on top of the roast seems like over kill, but I'm sure it added flavor and helped brown the skin :-)


Two and a half hours later...with a little extra time under the broiler to make the skin nice and crispy...dinner is served!

Just enough

The picture above is my actual serving at dinner. I was afraid to eat too much so I started with a very small amount. The roast is so decadent that this is all I could eat... looks like we get to have pork belly for lunch.

Actually I went back for one, small, itty, bitty bite...

The best pork rind I have ever eaten!


No comments:

Post a Comment