Sunday, January 11, 2015

Bulletproof Country Oxtails

Now that I have become a little more familiar with the Bulletproof diet I am trying out different recipes and modifying them to make them Bulletproof. Saturday night I decided to tryout a Paula Dean oxtail recipe. Paula Dean is almost synonymous with butter and what could be more Bulletproof than that...of course it will be grass-fed butter in my recipe. 

Here is Paula Dean's original recipe from the Food Network website...


Click here to go to Food Network

Finding a variety of grass fed meat at the store has been difficult unless I want ground beef or tri tip. Because of this, I have to resort to regular farm raised beef. I found the oxtails at Costco. They were about $6 per pound.

Seared oxtails

Here is a list of my modifications:
  • Instead of canned beef broth, I used my homemade Bulletproof beef bone broth
  • Instead of small red potatoes, I used sweet potatoes
  • I left out the onions and garlic because they are considered Kryptonite
The recipe called for baking the oxtails in a dutch over for 2-3 hours. I think I cooked my dish for close to 3 hours at 350. However, the larger pieces of oxtail were still a bit on the chewy side. I think 4 hours at about 320 would have been better...or perhaps all day on low in the slow cooker.

Ready to go into the oven

Surprisingly, white rice is OK (preferably eaten in the evenings) on the Bulletproof plan, so I served dinner over hot grass-fed buttered rice.


The sauce/gravy was amazing! I could have eaten a big bowl of rice covered in the sauce!

No comments:

Post a Comment