Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Weight Loss Math: Getting to 150

Throughout the years, I have occasionally posted about my disappointment in the numbers on my scale...numbers I would love to see right now. Sadly, I have never been as disappointed as I was yesterday morning. I had successfully ignored what my clothes had been telling me for weeks and now my new goal weight is a number that used to freak me out! 

This is from January 2014:

I would be ecstatic if I weighed 150 now!!!



Barb's Race 2014 = 142


IRONMAN Vineman 70.3 2017 = 152
Extra 10 pounds from Barb's Race



Sometimes Subtraction Doesn't Work

My smart scale has a good memory. Hopefully, next week's chart will show a downward trend.
148 (March 2022) to 165 (February 2023)

Looking at the chart above, I know that some of the weight gain can be attributed to changes in training. Training reduction to be specific. 

Early last year, I was in training for the Modesto Marathon and I was trying to get to my goal weight of 145. I was getting close to my goal and raceday when I caught Covid and had to cut back on my training. I ended up doing a virtual race on my treadmill. 

After my 26.2 mile torture session, I switched to full on IRONMAN training and completed IRONMAN California at the end of October. I wasn't happy about my weight at that point, but looking back, it was still about 10 pounds less than I am right now.  After IMCA, I dropped the swimming and cycling and just did running workouts so I could complete CIM in the beginning of December. Once I crossed the finish line of the marathon, my training ended.

Obviously, I was burning enough calories with my training to compensate for my bad eating habits and once my training ended, the weight quickly and easily added up.

Addition for Subtraction

Three weeks ago I signed up for a half marathon at the end of April. Now that I was once again committed to a race, I picked a training plan. I wanted to pick a more advanced plan with the idea that I have done this distance a number of times, but I decided to accept the fact that I was not in the kind of shape I should be and chose a "novice" plan. 

I'll be the first to admit that I was shocked when I struggled at my first three mile run. It felt much harder than I thought it should be, but I told myself it would get better.

Progress has been slow and steady

There have been a few other things I've added to my daily routine since signing up. First, went back to waking up and drinking a glass of water. Why drink water first thing? Well, I've read a lot of different reasons over the years. Here's a link to an article that summarizes most of them. ("Should You Drink Water First Thing in the Morning?") There is probably some truth to most of them but the reason I started doing it again is because it is something I used to do when I was at a better weight. It was also something I could easily add back to my routine and feel some sort of success.

The third week of my training I added back Bulletproof Coffee. I had drifted away from just drinking black coffee and had been adding half and half to every cup. Unfortunately, half and half does not have the same affect as Bulletproof. The lazy side of me would prefer to just pop open a container instead of dieting a blender every morning, but I now have a full seven days of Brain Octane and grass-fed butter coursing through my veins and I have to admit I am feeling much better. Here are my two big improvements:

  • Brain fog has lifted and I am back to writing this blog
  • Inflammation is down...my right knee hasn't felt this good in a while and that is a surprise to me with all of the running I have been doing.
  • Sugar cravings have disappeared

This Week's Math

So what are my mathematical plans for this week? Will I add something or subtract something from my routine? Actually, it's going to be both.

Add: Food Journaling

Yesterday, I added in a food journal. This has always been something I have struggled with and it took a bit of soul searching to figure out why. I thought it was just that I was lazy. In all honesty, it's because I didn't want to know what I was really eating. 

My journaling was always great for breakfast and lunch, especially when I was fasting and didn't have to record anything. However, things always went a bit sideways after work. Maybe I was ashamed to record that extra glass of wine or that handful of nuts I grabbed in the pantry, but for whatever the reason, I would stop journaling with the notion that "it's not that many calories". 

Subtract: Gluten and Sugar

Looking back at what I was eating and not eating last March, I remembered that I was trying out the Daniel Plan diet and had removed gluten and refined sugar from my diet. So, once again, I am removing those items. Thankfully, I'm not craving them, so it shouldn't be that bad. Fingers crossed.





No comments:

Post a Comment