Tuesday, February 20, 2024

75 Hard Challenge - Week 2 Wrap-Up

So far, 75 Hard has been an interesting journey. I think the thing I am enjoying the most is reading. Now, don't get me wrong, I consider myself to be a "reader" (more on identity later on) and I am in a book club, but I read fiction not non-fiction self-helpy type books. Yuck. Or at least that is what I thought two weeks ago.

Task #4 is designed to teach you a habit that will benefit you greatly from now, until the day you die.  You must read something that is non-fiction, educational, and can be used to improve any area of your life. Whether it be about entrepreneurship, personal development, or a job/career related topic ... you must read AT LEAST 10 pages each and every day. That does not mean you can't read more than that, but you must read a minimum of 10 pages. You must physically read those pages ... meaning audiobooks DO NOT COUNT toward your 10 pages for the day.

I tore through David Goggin's "Never Finished" in four days. Next, I picked up "Atomic Habits" this took me a bit longer (finished it a couple of days ago) only because I purposely limited my reading to a couple chapters a day just to make the book last longer! 

Another "must read"


Atomic Habits and Identity

One take away from "Atomic Habits" was that I need to change my identity in order to change my behaviors. 

"...true behavior change is identity change...Your behaviors are usually a reflection of your identity. What you do is an indication of the type of person you believe that you are - either consciously or non consciously...once a person believes in a particular aspect of their identity, are are likely to act in alignment with that belief... 

  • The goal is not to read a book, the goal is to become a reader.
  • The goal is not to run a marathon, the goal is to become a runner.
  • The goal is not to learn an instrument, the goal is to become a musician.  (See pg. 34)

Another aspect of "identity" is not letting one identity define you. "Lose that one thing and you lose yourself" pg. 248. (Talk about coincidence...this is basically the theme of my novel!!)

So, what is my identity or more importantly, what would I like it to be? What identity will keep me growing through this challenge and developing new, good habits?

  • My goal is not to write a book, my goal is to become an author! 
  • My goal is not to lose 20 pounds, my goal is to become the type of person that doesn't eat a bunch of crap or overeat.
  • I like the runner identity from above :-)
  • I do not want my identity to be an athlete, (because injury can take that away in an instance) I want to be the type of person that loves physical challenges and who is mentally tough. (stole that from the book too)

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good: My consistency is paying off. I am down 5-1/2 pounds since I started. However, as I mentioned before, this is not a weight loss challenge. Weight loss is just something that happens as a byproduct of doing the tasks. Actually, I think I am finally seeing the tipping point of the small positive changes I made earlier this year. Hard 75 has allowed me to continue with those changes and add to them. I have to admit that not snacking in the evening (a horrible habit of mine) has been tough. 

I love seeing colorful progress on my habit tracker.

The Bad: Hmmm...struggling to come up with anything other than the drinking 1-gallon of water everyday. Don't misunderstand...I am drinking it, but there have been days where I'm chugging pretty close to bed time and that is not ideal if you are trying to sleep through the night! I am still trying to establish a routine - wake up and fill my 40 oz. Stanley - try to have it finished by 11am. Refill and try to have it finished by 4pm. Refill and finish by 7pm with a topper of 8 more ounces.

The Ugly: I didn't think the two 45-minute workouts would be that big of a deal. HS and I walk the dogs every day...rain or shine because they would not allow anything less. So no change there, work out #1 done and it counts for the outside. HS now even checks if we need to take the long way home so I can hit 45 minutes. 

My furry accountability partners

Typically I will do a second workout such as a run or swim or a ride. Again, no big deal. However, I have not had a day off for two weeks and I think on Sunday it was catching up with me. On my 8-mile run my heart rate was elevated right from the start and I was running slower than usual for a warm-up. I stopped to rest a few times while HS, who was riding next to me, seemed concerned. 

I tried to come up with some alter ego like "Goggins" (gotta read the book) but couldn't decide on a name that motivated me. At around mile three, running straight into a relentless wind, I lost focus and tripped. There was nothing to trip over, just me not picking up my right foot. I could feel my balance shift and I fought to catch up with my downward momentum, hoping my left foot would finally get out far enough to stop the inevitable. It didn't. As I started my decent into the dirt, I put my hands out and crashed down on to my right side and shoulder. 

I had HS take a pic at the turn around...still looking and 
feeling pathetic. Pick up your feet!!!

I picked myself up. HS stopped and tried to figure out what happened. I think he was concerned it was related to my elevated HR. I grabbed my knees and started crying. Which I think made him even more worried. I told him I was fine and that I just needed to regroup...which is what I did. After a few minutes, I started running (sort of) towards the turn around at 4 miles. I wasn't giving up that easily although the last half of the run turned out to be more of a run/walk but I finished the 8 miles.

Here's to week three...hopefully injury free!

No comments:

Post a Comment