Monday, February 5, 2024

75 Hard Challenge with My BFF

Yesterday morning I was excited to be meeting my BFF and her hubby for brunch after church. It had been a few months since we found the time to get together and I was really looking forward to seeing them. I was also thinking about how I could bring up the fact that I wanted start a diet (again) and was desperate for an accountability partner. I was sure she would say "Yes" if I asked, but I didn't want to force her into anything.

We met up at our favorite Mexican restaurant and when the waiter came to get our drink order, she said she was just having water. Perfect! I ordered water too knowing that I didn't need the sugar or calories from their delicious strawberry jalapeƱo margarita. I told her that I had just finished "Dry January" and she said she wasn't drinking because of something called "75 Hard". Over our meal, between all of the catching up, she explained the challenge to me. I was definitely interested and so grateful that my accountability partner just landed in my lap without me even having to ask her!

Everything You Need to Know

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/75-hard-challenge-and-rules 


The Rules 

  1. Follow a nutrition plan of your own, no alcohol or cheat meals
  2. Two 45 minutes workouts per day - one must be outside
  3. Drink one gallon of water per day
  4. Read 10 pages of a non-fiction, personal development focused book
  5. Take a progress picture every day

Do this for 75 days. If you mess up go directly to jail, do not pass "go"...in other words start over again!

My Commitment

1.  NUTRITION Due to my training, I would be hard pressed to eliminate carbs (ie Keto or Atkins)...I need some fuel to keep going. So I think I will stick to the Mediterranean Diet. I think this is the healthiest option and it will work best for HS. 

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/in-depth/mediterranean-diet/art-20047801

I am also going to take a page from BFF's playbook and eliminate sugar and gluten. I have made this switch in the past and felt much better for it.

As for the alcohol...I just finished "Dry January". I survived and I realized that I missed the habit of a glass of wine, not the actual wine. This weekend (Feb 3) I had my first glass(es) of wine since Dec. 31. Even though I didn't go absolutely nuts, I still woke up not feeling as good as I did without the wine. So I've been asking myself, is it worth it? I really think the sugar in the wine messes with me because I get sugar hangovers and this is how a couple of glasses of wine made me feel.

2. WORKOUTS  I'm almost doing the workouts now. My first 45 minutes (which is always outside and rarely skipped) is our daily dog walk which is typically around 45 minutes. Done! My second workout will be based on my training plan and will often be longer than the 45 minutes. I guess my real challenge is going to be doing this for 75 days with no break. Obviously, there will be recovery days where my workout will be something nice like yoga but still technically a workout.

3. WATER Ok, the water drinking is going to be a big challenge. If it was diet 7-Up, no problem, but plain water. A whole gallon??? I know my body and skin will thank me, but it just sounds horrible. LOL

4. READING I currently wake up and read my bible every day and I 100% believe that it is the BEST personal development focused book so I will continue doing this. Although I will be extending the prescribed reading in my "Bible In a Year" version to the full 10-pages. I think I will also start reading "Never Finished" by David Goggins since it has been sitting on my shelf collecting dust for a while (I'm not even sure where it came from).

My "Must Read"

5. PICTURES Last but not least...the daily pictures. I am going to find an ideal spot and set up my camera just to make it easy. I know from doing P90X and taking progress pics that they really can tell a story after the fact. The first photo, not so much...so don't expect to see my progress pics any time soon!


One Day at A Time

As I start day one...today...February 5, I already find myself already looking too far in the future. Next Sunday is Super Bowl and I'm already worried about snacks. I've got to put that aside for now and just be thankful that BFF will be there for support!


No comments:

Post a Comment