Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Aw NUTS! - Experiment Day 32

Step away from the box and
nobody gets hurt (or fat)
Yesterday, a co-worker celebrating his promotion brought in bagels and cream cheese from Panera Bread. He was a "Bagel Hero" according to the box.

My friend, who has decided to give Atkins another go, sits about 10 feet away from where all the doughy goodness was displayed. In an effort to bolster her resolve, I did a quick Google search on "weight gain from eating bagels"...I knew I would find something easily and quickly...and I did. I also stumbled across some search results that brought my world and experiment crashing down around me.

My horrific find on the bagel search hinted that nuts would cause weight gain. This lead to another, more refined search...WEIGHT GAIN FROM NUTS!!!

13,000,000 results in .37 seconds. Thank you, Google for ruining my day!

Google can be dangerous to my mental health
One might be thinking "What's the big deal?" The big deal is, since I started my experiment over four weeks ago, I have been eating nuts with abandon. Peanuts, almonds, fancy roasted nuts...you name it, I've been eating it...like some sort of deranged squirrel. Probably somewhere along the lines of a 1/2 cup to full cup everyday! Why not? I'm not counting calories and they aren't sugar or grains...eat up!

Unfortunately, a majority of the articles say something along these lines...
Consuming nuts in MODERATION doesn't pose a threat for weight gain and may even enhance weight loss, according to a review published in 2010 in the “Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition.” However, overindulging in nuts as part of a high-calorie meal plan could cause you to pack on extra pounds. 
It's the moderation part that has me sweating my results on Friday. Ugh!!! I've already made up my mind that if my weight has gone up or hasn't changed much, it's because of the nuts. Until Friday, I've sworn off nuts!

No comments:

Post a Comment