Thursday, April 10, 2014

Don't Break the Chain

I don't want to jinx myself, but let me just say that after 3 full days of keeping a food journal, my weight is down enough to make me smile (just a little smile). However, the weekend is coming up and this is when I struggle. This is when I train a lot and eat even more. I justify what I'm eating because of my training.

Unfortunately, I'm afraid I over estimate my effort and underestimate my consumption :-)

What am I going to do this weekend to make sure I don't undo all the progress I made this week???

The answer is simple...keep doing what I've been doing this week...keeping my food journal, making smart choices, and training.

Seinfeld Strategy

A couple of months ago I read an article by James Clear about Jerry Seinfeld's remarkably successful comedy career. 

How the 'Seinfeld Strategy' Can Help You Stop Procrastinating

Clear wrote...
(Seinfeld) said the way to be a better comic was to create better jokes and the way to create better jokes was to write every day.
He told me to get a big wall calendar that has a whole year on one page and hang it on a prominent wall. The next step was to get a big red magic marker. He said for each day that I do my task of writing, I get to put a big red X over that day. 
"After a few days you'll have a chain. Just keep at it and the chain will grow longer every day. You'll like seeing that chain, especially when you get a few weeks under your belt. Your only job is to not break the chain."
This strategy will work in any area of my life...triathlons...weight loss...you name it. So, taking Seinfeld's advice, I'm going to get a big wall calendar to mark up. Every day I do something to prepare for Barb's Race (including keeping my food journal) will warrant a big red X.

NOTE: Preparing for Barb's Race doesn't necessarily mean working out everyday. If it is my scheduled recovery day, then I make sure I take that day and don't workout. It also doesn't mean that I'm eating some super restrictive diet. It does mean that if I splurge and have a burger and fries that I write it down. My biggest problem with food (besides really liking to eat) is that I am not honest with what and how much I have eaten.

What I Do Matters

Along the same lines as the "Seinfeld Strategy" is the book The Slight Edge. Here is one of my favorite excerpts from the book...


My simple positive actions every day will get me across the finish line at Barb's Race. My simple positive actions will earn a red X on my calendar. Will skipping a workout ruin my race? No. Will consistently skipping workouts? You bet!

I've already earned 3 red X's for this week. I can't wait to get my calendar and start marking it up!!!


1 comment: