Sunday, April 27, 2014

Recovery Week Wrap-up

Now that my recovery week is over its time to start training hard again...luckily it will only last another 3-4 weeks. I'm going to try and time it so that I have my next recovery week right before the June 1 "Tri for Real".

Friday was officially the last day of my recovery week. I had every intention of going out for a nice, SLOW, five mile run. However...about 1-1/2 miles into my run, the light drizzle of rain turned into a full blown RAIN...there was even thunder and lightening.  My first thought was to head for home but I would still get drenched. I thought about it again and decided to press forward and continue with my route.

It should be noted that I don't even like sitting in the hot tub in the rain because I hate rain drops hitting me in the face. So, for me to run in the rain takes a lot of effort. To test my will power, my mom even drove past me...she slowed a bit, and I know that if I stopped running she would have given me a ride home...but I kept going. I was completely soaked by the time I got home. Good thing my Garmin is waterproof :-)

Brick!

Saturday morning was the first brick workout for the Triathlon 101 training group. For the rest of us, James had a long distance brick workout planned....I like to think of it as sort of an "olympic brick". The bike portion was roughly 23.5 miles and the run was 6 miles.

I can't believe how much our group has grown!

HS and I, in preparation for next weekend's century ride, rode from Stockton to Lodi...no sense in wasting gas and an opportunity to train. The ride to Katzakian park was about 12-1/2 miles. Paul was there, so I knew the ride was going to be spirited :-)  (and fast)

I hung on to Paul's back wheel the best that I could, but I was dropped before the turn around point. Knowing that I still had a 6 mile run ahead of me, I held my pace and let him go. I'm still very pleased with my average pace of 18.9 mph... now, if I could do that in Barb's Race I'd be a happy camper.

Brick Workout - Bike - Details

For me, coming off the bike and running is not too bad...maybe my legs are just numb and I can't feel anything. Anyway, I knew Paul was ahead of me somewhere...I just couldn't see him...but I knew I had to try and catch him. We had decided to do a three loop run. It wasn't until my third and final lap that I finally saw Paul up in the distance. ARGH! If only the ride was shorter and the run a little longer! Maybe next time :-)

Brick Workout - Run - Details  (Even though I couldn't catch Paul, I'm very happy with my pace)


Sunday Runday

Since James was going up to Folsom to watch a crit, the Speedstar ride was canceled. This was fine with me...I covered plenty of miles yesterday and I sort of missed my Sunday runs. I had planned to take it easy since I figured my legs were tired from yesterday. However, after about 4-5 miles, my legs started feeling better and I was able to pick up the pace a bit (not a lot, just a little bit).

Very happy with my 10 miles today :-)

Long Slow Run - Details

I also started reading a new training book today. I'll withhold judgement until I get through it, but so far, I really like what the author has to say about recovery and nutrition ;-)




1 comment: