Monday, April 7, 2014

Ice Breaker 2014 - Race Report

The best way I can describe how I feel about my second attempt at the Ice Breaker Triathlon is ambivalent. I guess the reason I feel this way is because I met some goals and missed a few others. While I feel better about my race overall, my time was slower than last year...go figure.

am·biv·a·lent amˈbivələnt/
adjective
  1. 1.
    having mixed feelings or contradictory ideas about something or someone.
    "some loved her, some hated her, few were ambivalent about her"
    synonyms:equivocaluncertainunsuredoubtfulindecisiveinconclusive,irresolute, of two minds, undecidedtorn, in a quandary, on the fence,hesitating, wavering, vacillating, equivocating, blowing/running hot and cold; More

Swim

One of my goals this year was not to choke in the swim...and when I say "choke", I don't mean on water (although I did do that too last year). When I say choke, I mean completely freak out and blow the swim. Last year I did breast stroke, back stroke, side stroke, floated on my back and hung on the kayak (to fix my goggles). My official swim time in 2013 was 18:48. Not good.

This year, I focused on continuing to swim as well as not getting freaked out. As you can see from the picture below, I came out of the water feeling pretty good this year. I hit the button on my Garmin as I reached the TBF arch  for a time of roughly 16 minutes.

Ice Breaker 2014 - Swim by tpengilly at Garmin Connect - Details

I'm glad I programmed my 910XT for transitions. This year TBF had chip timing. Although I'm not sure this was done in the swim. Last year, when I came out of the water, there were volunteers taking our tags off the wetsuit cords. This year, no one was down at the water's edge. In fact, my official swim time is 21 minutes, so I know it includes the long run/walk to my bike.

My sister snapped this pic of me and my happy face!!!

T1

This year the water in Folsom lake was extremely low. This made for a .43 mile jaunt from the water's edge to my bike! I was going to bring flip flops to wear during transition but I forgot them and I didn't want to use my running shoes and get them full of sand, so I ran/walked barefoot through the rocks and sand.

Ice Breaker 2014 - T1 by tpengilly at Garmin Connect - Details

I had to walk a bit just to get this shot of the lake

Bike

Another goal for this race was to actually ride my TT bike. Whenever I have raced this course, I have brought my road bike because I never felt confident enough to make the gear changes on the hills. This time I brought the Shiv and was glad I did. The gear changes were no problem and the bladder system made drinking during the ride so much easier than fighting to get my water bottle out of the cage.


T2

The time for T2 is pretty quick because I forgot to push the button on my watch when I rolled into transition. It would have been quicker however, if I went down the correct row! Duh!


The run was hilly and my legs were tired. What more can I say. I caught myself walking a little too much past the crest of steep hills when I should have been running. No excuse other than I just didn't feel like pushing myself.

Ice Breaker 2014 - Run by tpengilly at Garmin Connect - Details

Final Thoughts

Not sure if this picture is correct...meaning I don't know if I actually got 3rd. Checked the official results and I am listed as 4th. The 1st place finisher listed in the results isn't on the podium. More ambivalence....


No comments:

Post a Comment