Sunday, April 13, 2014

Monster Weekend

Ok, I realize that some athletes probably do this amount of training in one day, but for me...this was a big weekend. Since Friday I covered almost 120 miles, gained 3,200 feet in elevation, and burned 5,859 calories. All of this took roughly 9 hours to accomplish. I am officially, 100% tired!!!

Friday

The weekend started early. I played hookie from work and went to Windsor with Hot Stuff and James to ride the Vineman / Barb's Race bike course. It was a little foggy and cold when we started riding around 9am, but the fog eventually burned off and it turned out to be a beautiful day.

Barb's Race - Practice Ride by tpengilly at Garmin Connect - Details

Not heading to work

A perfect depth for a nice swim/run

Chalk Hill isn't so daunting after riding "The Wall"


Saturday

Got to Tokay bright and early for a 2,500y swim. James gave us a 70.3 specific workout which I really liked up until I put on the ankle bands...I'll be working on that :-)

Part 1 - Swim by tpengilly at Garmin Connect - Details

After the swim, I changed into my running clothes and headed out to the track. Coach Emily (Tokay High School - Track & Field Coach) put on a great clinic with a lot of useful info. I get the feeling that my running style is perceived as "different". I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong...I manage to get from Point A to Point B ;-) I'll have to check with Coach Em to find out what exactly it is.

Following the clinic we did a 3 mile run (3.25 miles if you count the lap around the track during the clinic). I was surprised how good my legs felt following yesterday's ride.


After the run, I changed AGAIN...this time, into my cycling gear.

The first 15 miles felt great...probably because the wind was at our backs. I did my best to keep up with the guys and we eventually reached Clements Road. Clements Rd was very narrow with almost no shoulder and the cars were flying by us as we rested at the intersection. I eventually decided to backtrack and take another, less traveled, road.

The final 17 miles were HARD. My legs were toast and the head wind was making things difficult...even tucked in behind Paul.

Part 3 - Ride by tpengilly at Garmin Connect - Details

Sunday

Today was not a day of rest. After church, HS and I headed up to Lodi...AGAIN...for the Speedstar ride. (We picked up Lockeford Sausage on the ride, so it was definitely worth the effort).

Worth the effort

Speedstar by tpengilly at Garmin Connect - Details

After the ride we had coffee with James and Eric. When we got home, I changed and headed out on a short run. I felt great for the first 4 mile and then my left calf muscle started to cramp up a bit. At this point in the weekend, I thought it best to take it easy the rest of the way home.

Sunday Run and Done! by tpengilly at Garmin Connect - Details

Next Week

I think I'm actually looking forward to the next recovery week...which, unfortunately, is a week away. For the coming week, I am going to continue building my chain. I am also going to think positive thoughts and stick with positive people :-)

1 comment: