Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Funky Town

One sure way to fog up your goggles is to get weepy and teary eyed at swim practice. I was feeling
good up until it came time to get in...at that point, all I wanted to do was sit on the edge and cry. I was overcome by such a strong sense of sadness and loss...I can only describe it like being in mourning. HS could tell something was wrong from three lanes away, but I did my best to play it off.

Since I registered for Barb's Race back in November 2012, there was a purpose to my workouts. There was a reason to suffer and plan and try to get better. It was part of my identity. When people saw me running on sweltering afternoons and questioned my sanity, I would reply "I'm training for a half Ironman". Suddenly, my running in those conditions seemed to make sense. Maybe it just seemed less crazy compared to doing a half Ironman.
Can't stay in my funk forever

I guess today was the first day I was really feeling this sadness because in the days following the race, I was in "recovery mode". Monday's swim was a recovery swim from Barb's Race. Tuesday night's Fleet Feet run was an easy run because my legs were still tired from Barb's Race. Even though the race was over, I still felt a connection to the race.  Now it's all over and I'm feeling a little lost....guess it's time to get out of my funk and to look to the future.

Here are some of the races I am considering...

  • Crazy Eights Trail Run #3, Los Vaqueros Reservoir, Aug. 25
  • The Dignity Health Women's Triathlon Festival, Rancho Seco Park, Sept. 7
  • Central Valley Triathlon, Woodward Reservoir - Oakdale, Sept. 22
  • Golden State Sprint Triathlon, Sacramento, Oct. 13
  • Salmon Duathlon, Knights Ferry, Nov. 2
  • CIM, Folsom/Sacramento, Dec. 8
  • Ironman 70.3, Monterrey, Mexico, Mar. 16, 2014
  • BARB'S RACE 2014!!!! (Registration opens in November. Yay!!!)


Santa Lucia River in Monterrey, Mexico - How can you not want to swim here?
It looks like Disneyland




No comments:

Post a Comment