Sunday, June 9, 2013

No Wonder I'm Tired

Last Sunday I completed my first olympic distance triathlon. I was feeling pretty good after the race (actually, I felt GREAT after the race), so I didn't feel the need to back off on my training or take a day off. So, In true Tracy fashion, I pushed it a little harder this week (anyone who feels the need to give me their 2 cents can zip it right now!  LOL).

Totals for the Week

Swim: 4 times for a total of 4.21 miles or appx. 7,409.6 yards
Bike: 2 times, 45 minute hill session on the trainer, 18.11 miles at Camanche
Run: 4 times for a total of 28.03 miles

All Alone in Open Water

James gave us the option of coming 1/2 an hour early to the group open water swim on Saturday so we could swim out to the 5 MPH buoy. I wanted to get some more distance in, so HS and I headed up to Lake Camanche bright and early.  Since we had two kayaks to accompany us on our swim, James decided that he didn't need his David Hasselhoff lifeguard buoy.

I started off nice and easy. Eventually, Johan caught and passed me. I was fine with that as I wasn't in a particular hurry. I rolled on my back to see where the rest of the group was and noticed that they were a ways back and that the kayaks were with them. I continued to swim, but my anxiety grew the further I got out.

As I neared the buoy, a couple of jet skis zoomed up and thankfully cut their engines. They really weren't close enough to be an issue, but they were a reminder that I was but a mere speck on the lake and the boaters were starting to wake up. I opted for breaststroke so I could see what was going on around me.

When I turned around the buoy and started heading back, I realized that the kayaks were still close to shore!  WTF!!! Any confidence I had quickly evaporated. I finally saw James and then Eric, but it was not much comfort, I wanted to be back to shore.

5 MPH Buoy by tpengilly at Garmin Connect - Details

After the long swim and a couple shorter distance swims, a small group of us headed out for a ride while James conducted the final bike clinic for the group. I feel a lot better on my TT bike...shifting gears, climbing hills, and staying aero on the turns no longer terrifies me. The only problem I had on this ride was with my back wheel coming loose again and grabbing like it did at Angels Camp.

I would like to go back to Camanche and do a double loop of this route!

Camanche Ride by tpengilly at Garmin Connect - Details

Sunday Long Run

Saturday was extremely hot in Stockton, so I decided that I would get up early on Sunday and go for my long run to avoid the heat.  I rolled out of bed at 5am, reheated some coffee and ate half a protein bar.  This was definitely not the way to start out a long run. On top of that, my legs were a little tired :-)

Sunday Long Run by tpengilly at Garmin Connect - Details

Next Week

I plan on swimming Monday night and probably doing the P90X Stretch routine. Of course Tuesday is the Fleet Feet run and then swimming again on Wednesday. Thursday will be a complete rest day for me with an early AM swim on Friday and maybe a run in the afternoon. Not sure about Saturday yet but I will be racing again on Sunday. Can't wait to see our athletes cross the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment