Monday, June 24, 2013

Respect the Distance

Maybe I have been in denial or maybe I'm just really naive about how long a 70.3 mile race is, but Saturday's training ride on the Vineman/Barb's Race course was an eye opener.  I have a new found respect for the half ironman distance.

Our Ride

I have come to the realization that I'm am going to have to learn to love hills. I have yet to complete a triathlon that did not have some sort of hills on the bike course. The Vineman/Barb's Race course was no exception. That being said, it is probably one of the prettiest rides I have been on and for the most part, the hills were manageable.


Vineman/Barb's Race Course - Details


We made a couple of wrong turns on our ride, but that will not be a concern during the race. Come race day, I am confident the course will be clearly marked and there will be CHP and volunteers to make sure the riders are safe and headed in the right direction. We stopped briefly in Geyersville for a rest/refueling but for the most part, we rode non-stop.

The toughest part of the course was Chalk Hill. I have read about this hill, watched videos of the hill, and driven the hill in a car. After failing to climb the hill at New Melones three times, I was doubtful that I was going to be able to climb Chalk Hill. I started slowly and told myself over and over that it was OK to go slow. I came out of the saddle a couple of times to get my momentum back up, but stayed seated for most of the climb.

Unlike the hill at New Melones, you never really see the top of Chalk Hill until you are almost there. There are a lot of switchbacks, so just when you think you are done, you turn the corner and realize you have to keep going. I was so relieved when I got to the top that I wanted to cry. I held back the tears, though, so the guys wouldn't think I was a big baby LOL.

Top of Chalk Hill looking at the descent

A little ways past the top of Chalk Hill is the entrance to Chalk Hill winery.  Of course, this is where Ashley works. It just kills me that both of my daughters live in such great riding country (Folsom & Santa Rosa) and I live in the flat lands! If I worked at Chalk Hill, I'd ride my bike to work every day!

Photo op at Chalk Hill, too bad Ashley doesn't work on Saturdays

The realization of how hard the race is going to be really hit me when we got back to Windsor High School. My legs were extremely tired after the ride and I cannot fathom having to run a half marathon after that ride. The funniest part of this practice ride is that I am now thinking the swim is going to be the easiest part of the race. I would have never thought that six months ago!

James and Hot Stuff relaxing after the ride


Injury Free - Almost

After we finished our ride, James said he was going to stop at In-N-Out Burger for lunch. We decided to join him and were lucky enough to grab a table inside. After we finished eating, HS and James slid out of the booth. I turned quickly to follow and banged my left knee into the corner of the table post. By the time I got out to the car, I already had a welt on my knee.

The white lump appeared almost immediately!
This is just more proof that fast food can be bad for your health!  LOL

Worn Out

After HS and I got home, we relaxed in the pool for a bit and enjoyed a glass (or two) of wine. Even after soaking in the pool, my knee was still bothering me.  I took some Advil and decided to take a short nap...two hours later, HS is telling me to get up because he was hungry and wanted to go get something to eat. Ugh! It was almost 7pm at this point and I could not wake up. Eventually I drug myself out of bed and threw on some clothes.

I really didn't care where we ate at that point so HS chose mexican food. I must have really looked rough because the waitress at Casa Flores remarked that I looked tired. No tip for you!  LOL

Sunday Run

Regardless of how tired I was, I stuck to my plan of running on Sunday.  I wanted to start off at 10 minute mile pace because that's what I think I'll be able to maintain during Barb's Race. I started off faster than I wanted though and paid for it at the end of my run. All in all, it wasn't that bad of a run.


Sunday Long Run by tpengilly at Garmin Connect - Details



No comments:

Post a Comment