Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Wife Math and Other Stuff

How I'm Going to Save HS a Lot of Money

It seems that with bicycles, the price of components goes up significantly as the weight of the component goes down. Take for example pedals. I have the 105’s on my road bike and the Ultegra carbon pedals on my TT bike. For the purpose of this example, I’ll use the MSRP. Note: I paid (or actually HS paid) a lots less than the MSRP ;-)
  • 260g Shimano Ultegra Carbon $299.99 MSRP
  • 325g Shimano 105 $109.99 MSRP

Between the two types of pedals, there is a 65g weight difference or roughly .14 pounds or 2.24 ounces. This small difference costs $190. Now I don’t know about you, but I can stand to drop a few pounds. If 2.24 ounces costs $190, losing 5 pounds would be like saving $6,785.71!!! Do you know what I could buy with that?

I’ll be generous and I’ll save HS even more money by only spending half of my savings!  How could he say “No” to that?  Unfortunately, Hot Stuff never fully appreciates my powers of saving him money at Dillard's so this may be a hard sell ;-)

So here's what I want to buy:
  1. A new wetsuit (since I ripped my other one). Appx. $280
  2. A different race outfit. I mean, come on! I don't want all my race photos in the same clothes. Appx. $180
  3. A bike fitting. Appx. $150
With all that money I'm going to save him, we have enough left over for him to get a new bike! If I lose 10 pounds, watch out!

Daily Double

I was having a hard time sleeping last night, so at 3:30am I decided to just get up and do a workout on the trainer. I am continuing on my quest to turn my body into a hill flattening machine, so I did Spinervals 7.0 "The Uphill Grind". It may only be 45 minutes but I was drenched in sweat when I was finished, and I'm not really a "sweater".

This evening, my second workout was the Fleet Feet Tuesday night run. Instead of riding with HS to the store, I ran the 1.25 miles from my house.  This brought my total to over 6 miles. Next time  I will run home too.

Fleet Feet Tuesday Night Run - Mizuno & Stockton Joes by tpengilly at Garmin Connect - Details

It was not a particularly fast run for me. My legs were still tired from the race on Sunday and this morning's trainer session. That being said, I pushed it at the end because this guy had been drafting me for the entire run ( James  can appreciate that LOL). I could hear this guy behind me the entire run. On top of that, he waited until the last 1/4 mile and then blasted past me. Well played heavy breather, well played.

The Fleet Feet run wrapped up at Stockton Joe's for drinks, snacks and raffle prizes. I was not a winner. I did have a nice glass of wine though and we had a good time chatting with Nancy and her hubby. During our talk about support crews during a race, an idea came to me for the next Tri 101 class...we can have a special training day for our loved ones that are tasked with holding our water bottles, drying our tears, and other thankless tasks. Hot Stuff can do a special session on how to stand at the edge of transition and yell "Take your helmet off!" LOL

Food for Thought

Well, on my quest to save Hot Stuff obscene amounts of money, I am working on watching what I eat. This morning, after my workout, I fixed us black beans and eggs, with a glass of FRS (ChlorOxygen
A little sriracha sauce goes a long way

added), and coffee. My food for the day consisted of Shakeology with a banana, a protein bar, a can of tuna & salad, and a small bag of almonds.  Dinner was grilled chicken and salad (I won't mention the crap I ate at Stockton Joe's after the run...it probably cost me $400! ha ha ha ha)



No comments:

Post a Comment