Saturday, May 18, 2013

Mock Tri Revisited

Today our tri training group returned to Lake Camanche to do a mock triathlon. This was my second time doing this exercise and it went so much better than the first time.  My first practice triathlon was a real learning experience.  Let's just say, the swim, the bike and the run didn't go well for me :-/

But hey, if I didn't come stumbling up the boat ramp to T1, +James  wouldn't have one of his favorites stories to tell new people.  Of course, things progressively got worse after T1.

I had not purchased a road bike yet so I was on my mountain bike. I rode that puppy as fast as I could around the mountain.  I think I probably pushed a little too hard.  After racking my bike and putting on my running gear, I ended up stumbling out of T2.  I was exhausted at this point, but when someone says "race", even if its a pretend race, I race.

Anyway, the run left the paved road and merged on to a gravel path. I was soon faced with a hill.  "Oh, no freakin' way! I'm not running up that hill." (I'm starting to think I have a problem with hills).  So I walked.  And when I came to another slight hill, I walked again.  I did a lot of walking...a lot more than I needed to that day. I was thoroughly disgusted with myself.

Success!

Fast forward about 8 months. I am back at Camanche, but I am no longer considered a newbie (even
Normal people can't wait to get out...
fish people try and decide how far to swim the next time :-)
though I still feel like it sometimes).  With three whole triathlons under my belt, I am now a veteran. Ha! Since I have a race tomorrow, I decide I'm going to take it easy.  In fact, I wasn't even planning on doing the run portion because I wanted to rest my legs and I didn't want to kill myself on the hill.

The practice triathlon consisted of a 400y swim, 2.75 mile bike ride, and a 1.5 mile run.  I did the swim and ignored the fish people around me.  Success!  (I can't let them get in my head...they clearly enjoy it much more than I do and are much faster).

I got out of the water, slipped on my flip flops and had a leisurely stroll up the boat ramp (The fish people stayed in the water so they could swim some more).  I stripped off my wetsuit, slipped on my bike shoes and helmet and headed off for a couple of laps around the mountain. I maintained a relatively easy pace and didn't try to kill myself. Success!

I headed out on the run and forced myself to run at an easy pace in an effort to save my legs for tomorrow.  My Garmin reported an average pace of 8:54, so that was good.  As I jogged down the paved section of road, I contemplated what I was going to do when I came to the hill. Would I try and run up it?  Would I walk? Are my legs still tired from Angels Camp?  When I finally turned on to the gravel road, I had to laugh when I saw the hill.  Really, Tracy?  This is what you were fretting about?

Monster hill
It's amazing how our perception of things can change over time.  Yes there is a slight grade to this hill, but I can't believe I struggled up this hill only 8 months ago. I can't believe I was actually worried about it today. I am pleased to report that, today, I ran up the hill.  Success!

Half Time

Tomorrow morning I will be up bright and early to run in the Avenue of the Vines half marathon.  I did this race last year (my first time doing a half), so my goal this year is to improve on my time. I would be very happy to maintain an 8:30 pace and to cross the finish line with a smile. Hopefully, this race, like the hill, will have changed for me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment