Friday, December 19, 2014

Data Enthusiast

Week 2 of R&R...starting to go a little stir crazy...hence all the not so interesting posts ;-)

I can't wait to see what my first month of workouts looks like. I can't wait to start tracking my progress...and I got a few favorites ways to do this...

Garmin

What can I say, I love my 910XT! I wear it swimming, cycling, running and racing. During the summer months I sport a Garmin tan line ;-)

5150 just about sums it up
I absolutely hate those odd occasions that I forget my Garmin or the battery is dead. It's even worse if I mess it up during a race!

Training Peaks

Yes, Garmin Connect tracks most of what I want, but Training Peaks is just a little more robust. One of my favorite things is the ability to track equipment usage and shoe mileage. I know this seems like something silly, but I had actually tried tracking my shoe mileage on Garmin Connect by entering the shoe in the comments...not exactly the result I wanted...I wanted it to total up the mileage.

Training Peaks, however, lets me tag the bike I rode or the shoes I wore so I know when maintenance or replacement (shoes not the bikes) may be required.

Time for a new pair of shoes?

Training Peaks offers a free program as well as a premium program. I would suggest checking out the free program first to get a feel for the system but keep in mind the premium version gives you much, much more data. Also, if you are a USAT member, login to your account for a discount code on Training Peaks.

Click here to check out TrainingPeaks

UPDATE: Garmin now offers bike and shoe tracking on their Garmin Connect site!

Tinke

Another gadget I love is my Tinke. I learned about this cute little tracking device from Ben Greenfield's book "Beyond Training: Mastering Endurance Health & Life". The Tinke plugs right into my iPhone and within minutes it gives me a reading on:
  • Heart Rate
  • Blood Oxygen Level
  • Respiratory Rate
  • Heart Rate Variability
The last item, heart rate variability, is supposedly a good indicator of overtraining. My issue is remembering to take my reading first thing in the morning ;-)

Interesting device for around $100

Here's to gathering lots of data in 2015!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment