Saturday, December 27, 2014

Bulletproof Diet


I was loath to try another diet after last January's utter failure. January 2014 started off with me feeling like crap...sort of like I feel right now...

I decided that I was going to an "experiment" based on some of the things I had been reading. The experiment guidelines were fairly simple:


  • Eliminate grains and sugars from my diet whenever possible
  • Exercise at least 3 times a weeks for a minimum of one hour
  • DO NOT weigh myself again until Valentines Day
  • DO NOT count calories


Lessons Learned

While weighing my self every day can be problematic, not weighing myself was even worse! 

Not counting calories can be a noble endeavor, however, I was eating nuts like they were entirely calorie free...not going to do that again.

Not a Diet

Ok, the book says "diet" but a lot of what the author preaches is very similar to how I normally eat...just with a lot of grass-fed butter and MCT oil added. The one thing I learned from the 2014 experiment is that no matter what an "expert" says, I still need to listen to my own body.


I am starting off with what he calls the "2 Week Protocol"...breakfast every day for two weeks is a cup of bulletproof coffee (will probably continue to use Starbucks beans).

The next two meals can really be whatever I choose from the back of the book. The picture below is the Bulletproof Taco Salad that Lindsey and I fixed for lunch on the first day.

Lunch

Let's Get Started

I was going to start this diet on Monday, but I figured why wait...besides, I knew there was going to be a lot of prep work to get ready.

Step 1) Toss out crap. This was a very sad moment for me as I threw away my remaining Christmas mints. Actually, I didn't have a lot of bad stuff to get rid of probably because we went to other people houses for Christmas Eve and Christmas day :-)

Step 2) Stock up. Lindsey and I hit the health food store for gelatin, ascorbic acid, xylitol and some other little goodies. We then went to Podesto's and the real shopping began. I got a pork shoulder for the "BP Pulled Anything", beef marrow bones for bone broth, stew meat, bacon, grass-fed ground beef, cauliflower, carrots, fresh herbs, celery...we looked like very healthy eaters at the checkout stand.

Future bone broth
Step 3) Start. Once we got home I started cooking the pulled pork and I also started the bone broth (which was going to need to cook for at least over night)

Starting Info

Got on the scale this morning...2 days after Christmas and a few days before my favorite aunt shows up...147. Not as bad as I expected it to be. In fact, given all of the junk food and crap I have been eating over the last two weeks, I am thrilled to be only 5 pounds above my race weight from last summer.

Since the Bulletproof diet claims "Lose up to a Pound a Day, Reclaim Energy and Focus, Upgrade Your Life" I will be weighing myself every day for the first two weeks instead of once a week. A pound a day is asking an awful lot...I will be happy to get to 140 by the end of the two weeks...that is 1/2 a pound a day...still a lot to ask for.

Can't wait to see how this turns out :-) #dreamingseason






No comments:

Post a Comment