Saturday, December 27, 2014

Bulletproof Stew

This is a fairly simple recipe (complete recipe at the end of this post)...provided you have already made some bone broth.

Unofficial step 1... make plenty of bone broth ahead of time

First, brown the stew meat in ghee (good thing I've properly stocked my pantry), toss in some ginger and turmeric and simmer for about an hour.

Veggies
Next, get your veggies ready. I was almost going to toss in some mushrooms but I decided to check the Bulletproof Diet book first. According to the book, mushrooms are "kryptonite" (for various reasons)...so I left them out, even though I am doubtful of the claim. I also like to add an onion occasionally.


Veggies go in at different stages so they don't get over cooked.

Final step...coconut milk
Yeah, I know the book says not to count calories, but I used light coconut milk instead of regular.

Nom nom nom
I have never been a big fan of stew, but this one is unlike any heavy, gravy-coated stew you've had. The coconut milk is creamy and adds a unique flavor that works with the ginger, turmeric and cilantro.

The actual Bulletproof recipe can be found on page 265 of "The Bulletproof Diet" by Dave Asprey. The recipe below is how I tweak it for my family:

1-2 lbs. stew meat (Beef or lamb)
3 tablespoons ghee (I don't always use this, sometimes I'll brown the meat in avocado oil)
1/2 inch fresh ginger (or a tad more if you are like me)
1 tablespoon ground turmeric (I use about 2 fingers of fresh turmeric)
3 cups bone broth
2-3 carrots
2-3 sweet potatoes
1 large zucchini or 2-3 smaller ones
1 large onion (if you aren't following a strict "Bulletproof" diet)
1 can of unsweetened coconut milk (I get the light coconut milk from Trader Joe's)
Fresh cilantro


No comments:

Post a Comment