Friday, January 3, 2014

A Perfect Fat Storm

Today I feel like I weigh 300 lbs. I feel bloated, sluggish and have no desire to ever race or work out again. I am praying that this is just a temporary feeling...

How I feel today

Stupid Aunt Flo

Part of my problem is Aunt Flo is late...or at least I think she is...I'm pretty sure she is. You think I would track this better (I've been dealing with it for over 30 years), but I don't. Usually I just track things by race dates. Last time it was clearly before CIM because I remember being relieved that I wasn't going to have to worry about issues during the race. With that time frame in mind, things should have happened by now...but they haven't.  (For all you comedians that want to suggest that there could be a bun in the oven, there isn't!) My guess is that it's a little thing called perimneopause. Not full blown menopause...just the start of the fun...

According to WebMD, during perimenopause Aunt Flo can be lighter, heavier, more frequent or less frequent. Great! I just absolutely LOVE inconsistency. The way my luck goes in terms of Aunt Flo and racing, she'll show up sometime tomorrow morning around 9:15am...right after the start of the duathlon. UGH!

Fresh Jeans

Know the best way to make yourself crazy when you are already feeling crappy? Pull a pair of jeans out the dryer and put them on. Ok, if I was feeling fat before, I'm really feeling like a hog now! Just a slight tightness in my jeans has me debating whether or not I want to call in sick to work.

Lack of Exercise


It's not as if I completely stopped working out, but in my mind, it's been an eternity since I've had a good workout. Seriously though, I did a 90 minute spin class on Saturday, followed by a 22 mile bike ride on Sunday. Monday was a 3.5 mile run followed by a P90X3 workout. I did not workout Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. Of course, this has probably resulted in me packing on at least 20 pounds! I've got to do something today or I may go insane.

Change of Diet

As I have mentioned in other posts, I have started reading Fitness Confidential. The author recommends not eating sugar or grains. He also says you shouldn't shy away from eating fat (good fat). I've also come across several articles about this exact same topic in the last week. I know I need to stay away from sugar (bye-bye Skittles) and have been working on it. Even Costco is getting in on this action...check out page 52 in the current "Costco Connection" - Weight Loss Tips for Women Over 40.

So I've changed up my diet a bit and have been eating more cheese and nuts. Do you know what eating too much cheese and too many nuts does to your system? I mean, Aunt Flo usually slows things down a bit, but things have completely stopped! This is not helping my bloated feeling. Ugh. I think I'll make some green juice this weekend to add to my diet. I've got to find a better balance for my system.

Goals Needed

So here I am feeling fat, bloated, and slow. I don't want to work out and I don't want to race...

Today, after I droned on and on and on about my bad attitude and lack of motivation, a coworker asked if I had any races planned. I said that I had Barb's Race in July, but nothing in the near future (other than tomorrow's duathlon). He suggested that my blah feeling about working out may be due to a lack of goals (aka races)...that maybe if I had a race to train for that I would feel like working out again.

"I don't even feel like racing!" was my response.

He's probably right though...maybe having a race to train for will snap me out of this funk. I don't know, maybe tomorrow's race will help...or maybe being able to get back in the water on Monday will do it...fingers crossed that something does the trick...I am soooo tired of feeling like this.



No comments:

Post a Comment