Saturday, January 11, 2014

Field Test - (Experiment - Day 2)

Started the day with a glass of FRS, a cup of bullet proof coffee, two eggs and two slices of pepper bacon. At 7:45am HS, Nancy and I headed to James' ranch to do a field test. Is it a good idea to ride 13 miles plus an additional 7 or so miles before doing a field test? I don't know…what I do know is that it is not a good idea if it is FREEZING outside. I'm not sure if it was actually freezing, but it was pretty darn cold…all I could think about was being done and getting home.


We got to the ranch a bit early, so I ate one of the mini Babybel cheeses I brought. Eventually, everyone was there and we headed out to James' test site (HS and I did this same course back in August).

Field Test

I was MISERABLE on the ride out to the test site… it was overcast and cold. I was shaking by the time we arrived at our destination.

January 2014 vs. August 2013

The best thing I can say about today's test is that I was consistent. Unfortunately, I was no where near as quick as I was in August 2013. I didn't even get my heart rate up. Maybe it was the cold :-/


At least James is enjoying himself!

After the test was over, we took a shorter route back to the ranch and then headed back to Stockton.


As we came down Thornton Rd and neared Estate Dr., I started to feel a little light headed. I had eaten another Babybel cheese after the test was over, but I was getting a little worried that maybe I didn't have enough gas left in my tank to make it home.

Test Strips

For shits & giggles, I broke out the keto-sticks I had left over from my Atkin's diet days. In case you don't know what they are, you pee on them and they will tell you if you are in ketosis. What is ketosis you ask? Here is a brief explanation I stole off the internet…
Ketosis is a condition in which levels of ketones (ketone bodies) in the blood are elevated. Ketones are formed when glycogen stores in the liver have run outThe ketones - acetoacetate and β-hydroxybutyrate - are used for energy. Ketones are small carbon fragments that are the fuel created by the breakdown of fat stores.
or how about this description…
A lot of people are confused by the term "ketosis." You may read that it is a "dangerous state" for the body, and it does sound abnormal to be "in ketosis." But ketosis merely means that our bodies are using fat for energy. Ketones (also called ketone bodies) are molecules generated during fat metabolism, whether from the fat in the guacamole you just ate or fat you were carrying around your middle. 
I had potatoes with dinner last night. If you've ever done Atkin's, you know it can take a couple of days after your last serving of carbs before the test strips will show you in ketosis. After riding appx. 50 miles today, I came home, did the test…strips showed a trace amount of ketones. Amazing! Did I burn through all of my glucose stores?

Of course, this could also be part of the reason my speeds were slower…not sure…the experiment continues...


No comments:

Post a Comment