Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2013 The Year in Review

2013 was a great year in terms of training and racing. I made some new friends, completed races that were inconceivable only a year ago, and had an awesome time in the process! I am looking forward to 2014 and all the fun that lies ahead…thousands of miles and thousands of smiles (ok, I know that sounds super corny, but it's true!)

Here is my year in review...

Top 3 Blog Posts

2013 was the year I became a "real" triathlete and started blogging. (My favorite sign at Barb's Race was "Have you read my blog?" LOL

Out of the top three posts listed below, I would say that my Barb's Race race report is my favorite. Reading that post takes me right back to the day of the race. However, my story of "fat to fit" was the clear leader...

  1. My Journey from Fat to Fit (Who doesn't love a good ol' fashioned "See how fat I was" story?)
  2. Lodi Masters Triathletes (All about the team)
  3. Barb's Race - Race Report (Biggest race of my life)
My Year in Stats

Yes, I may be 5150!
These stats are based on my Garmin data. I would say that in most instances I wore my Garmin…I probably captured 90% of my workouts. If there was ever a workout that got skipped, it would be swimming. Since we drive to Lodi to swim, we would usually be too far from the house to go back and get it if I forgot it…and by too far, I mean more than a block away from the house LOL (HS isn't big on going back for forgotten items). 

Also, I messed up the "multi-sport" mode at a few races that also didn't get recorded.

Swimming
  • 88 activities
  • 63 miles
  • 96 hours
  • 18,543 calories 

Biking
  • 75 activities
  • 1,268 miles
  • 89 hours
  • 65,582 calories 

Running
  • 142 activities
  • 933 miles 
  • 140 hours
  • 103,809 calories
Stockton to Honolulu is 2,459 miles. My goal for 2014 is to go this distance and then some ;-)

My Races

2013 wasn't all triathlons (although I did 7 of them), I also did 2 trail runs, 2 duathlons, and 6 running (road) races. Thank goodness for www.athlinks.com… it keeps all my race stats handy…


Looking back at my triathlons, I'm not sure I really want to do anything different in 2014…although I'm still on the fence about Ice Breaker (I really don't like being cold). I guess since 2013 was my first full year doing triathlons, I have a strong desire to go back to each race and see how much I have improved.

I've already signed up for Barb's Race and am looking forward to racing with my teammates as well as with my youngest daughter. It's going to be great seeing friendly faces out on the run. Better toughen up your palms ladies, there's going to be lots of high 5's!

Another race that I am definitely doing again is the California International Marathon…sign ups start in March! I also am thinking about the Pacific Grove triathlon in September.

Lessons Learned
This is what :19 seconds looks like

I know I've learned much more than this over the last year, but these are my favorites lessons...

  • Seconds matter!!! Missed 1st place in the Tri for Real #2 by :19 seconds. Missed qualifying for Boston by :04 seconds at CIM. That is going to be in the back of my mind at every race in 2014.
  • The bike won't roll all the way to the bottom of the hill. Hills scare me. In fact, I haven't successfully ridden to the top of the hill at the Angels Camp course. Three attempts, three walks to the top. I did make it to the top of Chalk Hill twice, but it was quite a challenge. My biggest fear is rolling back down the hill. Of course, HS has pointed out numerous times that I would crash way before the bike actually made it to the bottom of the hill. Thanks, Honey!
Angels Camp - This is NOT a "rolling" hill!!!
  • Don't make eye contact! If you don't want to attract attention (and a hard set) from Coach John, don't make eye contact and don't sit on the wall too long!
  • Goat heads are not your friend! One of my favorites rides is the "Pancake" ride out to Korth's Pirate Lair on the Delta Loop. However, at certain times of the year, goat head weeds rule the road and will make your ride miserable. On one particular ride, I got two flats and ruined a pair of cleats (from so much walking/running).

Goals for 2014

Simple, measurable goals…no doubt about success or failure:
  • Complete Barb's Race in less than 6 hours (missed it by 2 minutes in 2013)
  • Make it to the top of the hill at Angel's Camp riding my bike, not walking it.
  • Complete CIM and get my BQ time







No comments:

Post a Comment