Saturday, January 25, 2014

Not Quite Meat and Potatoes

While my "experiment" has me avoiding sugar and grains, I'm also trying to steer clear of other foods that may be a little too high in carbs…foods such as mashed potatoes. Luckily, I have found a delicious substitute…mashed/creamed cauliflower.



Consider this, a medium head of cauliflower is only 150 calories (Yes, I know I'm not counting calories during my experiment…this info is for anyone that is). It also has 29g of carbs and 11g of protein. One medium potato has about 160 calories, 37g of carbs and 4g of protein.

The recipes is quite simple…chop up the cauliflower into little pieces and boil until mushy soft.


Strain the cauliflower when done...


In my recipe I add about 1/2 cup of non-fat Greek yogurt and some grass fed butter…then I mash it up.


I like to mash the cauliflower on the stove to help thicken it...



Ok, I was a little indulgent last night...I put some extra butter on my serving :-)



No comments:

Post a Comment