Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Sleepless in Stockton

I woke up this morning at 3am (still not sleeping through the night).  I decided that I may as well get up instead of trying to fall back asleep (only to have to get up again in an hour).  I popped Spinervals "Lean and Mean" in the DVD player and climbed up on my bike.  An hour latter, I was soaked in sweat and ready for some coffee.

Salmon Stir Fry
As I mentioned in a previous post, the scale hasn't budged in over a week.  I tell myself it's nothing to get upset over, that everyone hits a plateau. Regardless, I'm working to lose about 5 lbs in the next 3 weeks.

I made a good effort to eat clean today even with a refrigerator full of cake at work.  I also avoided snacking when I got home by immediately fixing dinner (we had to eat early because of swim practice).

Instead of grilling the salmon like I normally would, I made a salmon stir fry with red onions, red peppers, garlic, ginger and broccoli and served it over quinoa...yum yum!

Bye Bye Progress

After dinner, we headed to Lodi for swim practice.  When we got there, James introduced some new swim techniques that he learned at a Masters swim clinic.  While these techniques should speed up my swimming, they seemed to slow me down.  All of my progress I felt I made over the past few weeks was gone as I tried to incorporate the new techniques. It was pretty frustrating.  I have been working on relaxing in the water and taking my time.  The new pulling technique made me forget all of that and had me winded and disappointed.

Hardest Day of the Week

Tomorrow is the hardest day of the week for me.  It's not because of any workout either.  It's because Thursday is generally my day off and taking a day off is challenging.  In my mind I feel like I should be working out more and that any time off is a step backwards.  Now before you start messaging me about the importance of rest/recovery, I know all of that...that is why I am taking a day off.  I'm just saying that in my mind I think I should be doing more.

Angels Camp Triathlon

My next race is the Angels Camp Triathlon on May 12.  The swim is going to be longer than the swim at the Ice Breaker Triathlon.  I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous, but I'm also looking forward to it.  I need to have a successful open water swim to finally put Ice Breaker to rest.

If I'm lucky, I will convince Hot Stuff to take me up to Angels Camp on Friday for a little practice ;-)



No comments:

Post a Comment