Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Fleet Feet Ice Cream Run (sans ice cream)

Yesterday was the highly anticipated Fleet Feet Ice Cream run.  I have had ice cream on the brain since hearing about this run, but I refrained knowing that I was going to indulge last night.Unfortunately, Mike made other plans for us. So, while I still did the Tuesday night run, I had to miss the ice cream :-(  This turned out to be a blessing in disguise because the scale hasn't budged in over a week.

Brick Workout & Free Socks

Prior to the run, I did an hour and 15 minutes on the bike trainer using my new Spinervals DVD "Hardcore 100".  The description on eBay said it was a 3-disc set.  What I didn't realize when I ordered the DVDs what that they were intended to be used consecutively as part of the same workout.  The complete 5-1/2 hour workout is supposed to replicate a century ride.  Yikes!  5-1/2 hours on the trainer...my flower gets sore just thinking about it.

I finished on the trainer about 5:15pm, changed into my running clothes, and headed to Fleet Feet with HS.  Since I knew we would possibly be testing out socks along with running shoes, I decided to wear a brand new pair of hot pink socks that matched my shoes (I didn't want anyone to see my old dingy running socks).

When we got to Fleet Feet we were told that we could have a brand new pair of Feetures! socks IF we surrendered our current socks.  Argh!!! I really liked the hot pink socks!  However, my hot pink Gold Toe socks were relatively cheap...7 pairs for $11.99 at Target.  The free pair of Feetures! was somewhere in the range of $10-$15 a PAIR!  In fact, I went to Zappos and found a 3 pack of the sames socks for $44.97.  Bye-bye hot pink socks.

New Feetures! socks...well worth the trade

Time for New Shoes

After we put on our new socks, we had the choice of trying out a pair of Brooks Ravenna or Pure Grit.  I opted for the Ravenna and Mike chose the Pure Grit.  Over the past month, I have tried New Balance, Merrell, and now Brooks.  I am torn between the New Balance 1080 v3 and my current Brooks Pure Cadence.

My Tuesday night choice
The Brooks Ravenna felt great at first, like I was running on marshmallows.  However, about mile 3, a couple of my toes started to go numb and I was no longer enjoying the shoes as much.  Also, the Ravenna provided a little more stability than I like in a running shoe.

I ran a report on Garmin Connect to see how many miles were on my current shoes.  Based on the mileage recorded, I have approximately 650 miles on my Brooks Pure Cadence.  This is a bit on the high side, but the shoes have held up great.  I went to the Brooks web site to see the color selection for the new Pure Cadence 2's and I'm not seeing anything I like as much as my hot pink Pure Cadence...bummer.

I hate to make a shoe selection based solely on color, but fashion is a consideration :-)

The Run

Last night's run was good.  It was a minute slower than last week's time, but I did ride an extra 20 minutes on the trainer, so I'll chalk it up to that.  Also, it was considerably warmer than last week.

Fleet Feet Ice Cream Run by tpengilly at Garmin Connect - Details

No comments:

Post a Comment